Firelighting training for schools and early years
Firelighting and cooking training
Fires and cooking are a memorable and deep learning experience for children of all ages. It is one of our most popular courses, enabling educators and teachers to safely lead firelighting and cooking outdoor experiences.
Fires and cooking do represent a step up in risk management, and your competence and knowledge should reflect this. Our course is appropriate for anyone working in a school, early years and childcare setting.
We have a range of outdoor learning training courses – you can view them using the button below.
Firelighting Course Content
The full day (can also be two half days) training will cover:
- Your responsibilities and industry norms. This includes Risk Benefit Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments, Standard Operating Procedures and Class Management.
- The practical skills and knowledge required to light and manage fires.
- Options for equipment and resources that you will need.
- The practical skills and knowledge to cook simple meals and drinks on small fires with your class.
- The Basics of Food Hygiene outdoors.
- Curriculum links and opportunities, from science, through to literacy and modern languages.
- Putting it all together – from school policy through to personal practice.
We do require an outdoor space to run this programme, either within the school grounds or a local greenspace. Wherever it is, we require landowner permission in place.
Each attendee with receive a full handout pack and a certificate of attendance.
The course is entirely outdoors and hands on. This includes sitting and kneeling on the ground, being outdoors in all weathers and for extended periods. Please come dressed for the weather and conditions.
What firelighting training do I need?
You can read a statement from SAPOE on what training is needed to lead firelighting and cooking in schools. Note that Forest School includes Fires and Cooking within the syllabus, however it is a much wider qualification, reflected in the time and cost. If you do not intend to run a Forest School, then this course is likely more appropriate and meets the requirements of most Outdoor Learning Policies and Insurers.
Dates and booking
The course is usually delivered at your setting or hosted by a number of settings.
Course costs are typically £580+vat and reasonable expenses per full day, for up to 15 staff.